Stonewall Jackson's "French" Toast
Author: Stonewall Jackson Inn Bed & Breakfast
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp orange juice
- ¼ tsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
- small pinch each: salt, white pepper, sugar
- 2 large day-old croissants
- To make the egg wash: Use a 5x8-inch dish and an egg beater or hand blender. Break the eggs, add all ingredients except croissants, and blend thoroughly until mixture just begins to foam.
- Cut the croissants in half lengthwise, dip them in the egg wash, and press so that the air is forced out and replaced by the egg wash.
- Place cut face down on hot (375° F.) lightly greased heavy skillet or grill and toast to a golden brown - 3 or 4 minutes - flip and lightly brown the uncut side 1 to 2 minutes, then flip them back to the cut side for 1 minute.
- Place on a warm plate, stuffing or topping the open faces with the Southern Fried Apples (recipe at StonewallJacksonInn.com). Serve with a patty of fresh sausage and lightly scrambled eggs. If you don't stuff or top them, dust well with powdered sugar and serve the fried apples as a side, using link instead of patty sausage. Garnish with a quarter slice of freshly cut pineapple (husk on) and a sprig of parsley.
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at https://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/how-to-make-french-toast/