Stonewall’s Heavenly Blueberry Muffins
Author: Stonewall Jackson Inn Bed & Breakfast
- ½ cup (one stick) butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, less if the berries are sweetly ripe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar mixed with ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 16-cup muffin pan or use foil baking cups.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter until creamy, then beat in the sugar until pale and fluffy; beat in the eggs (one at a time), then the vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Mash ½ cup of the berries with a fork and blend them into the batter.
- Fold in half the flour with a spatula, then half the milk, then the other half of the flour, then the rest of the milk, then the 1½ cps of whole berries.
- Scoop the batter into muffin cups and sprinkle with the sugar/nutmeg mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool muffins on wire rack for 30 minutes before removing from pan.
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at https://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/homemade-blueberry-muffins/