Peter's "Killer" Quiche
- Liquid Ingredients- 8 Grade A Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- Salt and pepper (coarse grind) to taste...be generous with the pepper!! (It looks good too!)
- 2 Cups coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 lbs. Bacon rendered and crumbled (Fresh Sausage can be used too)
- 1 lb. Jarlsberg Swiss Cheese, coarsely grated (Jarlsberg is a Semi Soft Part Skim Milk Sweet Cheese, Lucerene is similar if Jarlesberg is not available).
- Blend or whisk thoroughly: baby spinach, bacon/sausage, cheese
- Use either two- 8" pie shells in shallow aluminum pans, or one large 9" deep dish pie plate with a pre-rolled crust (for the latter, bake an additional 15 - 20 minutes).
- Layer freshly chopped Spinach, then crumbled bacon and finally the grated Swiss cheese so it is rounded (it will all settle down as it bakes). Gently top with the liquid ingredients, fill until it is 1/2 to 1/4 inches below the top of the pie crust., Use baking sheets underneath as it bakes it may spill over a little.
- Bake smaller pie shells (aluminum) 35 - 40 minutes, larger (glass, deep dish) pie plates 50 - 55 minutes. To brown top of quiche if not as brown as you want it, broil final 3-4 minutes, or until desired color/texture is reached. Enjoy, Bon Appetito!! Peter
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at http://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/quiche/