Mathew’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 pound butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 4 cups flour
- 9 eggs
- 4 oz. evaporated milk
- 4 oz. orange juice
- Dash of almond extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange or lime, grated
- Fresh pineapple slices, half inch thick
- Maraschino cherries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth with an electric mixer. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and the zest until light and fluffy; then pour the batter into the whisked eggs and mix well.
- Then, slowly add and fold in one cup of sifted flour, alternating each cup with the mixture of baking powder, orange juice and milk, mixing each well.
- Lastly, fold in the cinnamon and almond extract. Grease and flour cake pans and lay in pineapple slices and cherries.
- Pour batter in pans and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a broom straw comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-12 minutes and turn the cake out.
- Let cool for at least 1-2 hours.
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at https://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cake/