- ½ cup (50 grams) pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded raw zucchini (1-2 zucchini)
- ½ cup peeled and grated raw apple, (about 1 large apple)
- 1½ cups (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (120 ml) safflower or canola oil
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Cream Cheese Frosting: (optional)
- ¼ cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) (110 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Grease (or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray) a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Grate the zucchini, using a medium grater, and then peel and grate the apple. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended (about 2 minutes). Beat in the grated zucchini and apple. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Then fold in the nuts and coconut. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan. Frost with cream cheese icing, if desired. Well wrapped, this bread will keep for several days at room temperature (if unfrosted) or for several days in the refrigerator (if frosted).
- Frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Spread over the top of the cooled zucchini bread. Garnish with toasted coconut, if desired.
Makes one - 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf.
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at http://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/zucchini-bread/