Caramelized “Southern Fried Apples”
Author: Stonewall Jackson Inn Bed & Breakfast
Serves: 8 to 10
- 10-12 cooking apples. (Golden Delicious or Fuji)
- 5-6 Strips of good bacon diced (½ cup of bacon crumbles)
- 1 stick butter
- cup dark honey (it is the tastiest to cook with)
- cup of maple, sorghum or dark corn syrup (or 1 cup dark brown cane sugar)
- cup golden raisins (optional)
- 4 tbsp cinnamon
- tsp nutmeg
- Core, peel, and cut apples into ¼-inch wedges.
- Using a 10 or 12 inch heavy or cost iron skillet over moderate heat, fry the diced bacon.
- To the bacon crumbles, add a splash of water, the butter, apples, honey and syrup or sugar, stirring after adding each ingredient; add the raisins if using.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, cover and cook slowly on low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently until apples are soft but firm.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The more slowly you cook them, the better they are!!! This recipe is very easy to adjust to taste along the way as you are able to add more of any of the ingredients to exquisitely fit your family’s taste!
Recipe by Stonewall Jackson Inn at https://www.stonewalljacksoninn.com/recipes/fried-apples/